Thursday, July 10, 2008

The End of Suburbia



Crucial video about a crushingly huge problem--the decline of cheap oil, and the attendant impossibility of maintaining the American way of life, the suburbs in particular. I've been meaning to spend more time about this kind of thing, but haven't been able to organize my thoughts. I hope to rectify that in the future. (Also, I hope to link more to Feral Scholar, where they spend pretty much all their time talking about this kind of thing, and what might be done about it.) In the meantime, be sure to watch this documentary. (Via Jacob Russell, via here)

4 comments:

Matt Christie said...

yeah, this was ok..

Richard said...

Well, admittedly it's not the best documentary in the world. I have a problem with some of the conclusions drawn, or solutions suggested. I think the basic idea presented--about the unsustainability of the suburbs and the American way of life generally--is important and under-discussed. I might, instead, have referred to that idea as crucial, and this video as a decent-enough presentation of it...

Matt Christie said...

agreed then.

Jacob Russell said...

No longer available. This shouldn't be proprietary information. I say, steal it and pass it on.